Re: Software

From: Bicyclken
Date: Sat Jul 29 2000 - 07:39:39 PDT

    In a message dated 07/28/2000 11:37:52 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
    jab1997 writes:

    > 1. How important is it to use technology in the art classrooms?

    very important because it is becoming the new art form and will not go away.
    So get going and learn to use it or lose it.

    2. If used, at what level do you really begin having the students use
    technology?

    Our high school has classes for the freshmen to learn to use computers and
    skills in keyboarding. I have a graphic arts class for Juniors and seniors
    only (they need Art 2 or higher to get in)

    3. What hardware do you feel you should have access to and how often?

    We have a lab with 32 IBM format computers, three scanners and 8 printers.

    We are now getting a new lab with digital cameras and scanners, etc., for our
    advanced Photography classes.

    4. What software do you feel is the best and why?

    WE use the Adobe products such as Photoshop 5.5, Illustrator 8.0, and Photo
    deluxe. I will be introducing PageMaker next year. We create adds, CD
    covers menu covers, packaging create lettering cases, posters, flyers,etc.

    5. For those of you who have used this a lot, how has it benefited your
    students?

    I have had students get jobs out of high school with just the info we did in
    class. Some have become CD cover designers for a small record label, Three
    have been accepted to Cal Poly graphic design program (an impacted program
    that takes only 12-15 students a year) Others have gone to other schools for
    graphic art and have become successful.

    6. Do students miss out on traditional art classrooms?

    Yes, some have to make the choice of A.P.studio art, or Art 4, or Graphic art
    in their senior year, but life is choices and it is good for them to make
    that choice. Some take them all.

    Ken Schwab
    San Jose CA

    ---