Re: Instructions = Different Results RE: Appropriating Ideas

From: Virginia Rockwood (wckdstpm)
Date: Fri Jul 28 2000 - 18:57:30 PDT

    Here's another lesson which utilizes different results with instructions. It
    taps into observation skills, visual memory, translating words into visual
    images, following directions, etc.

    The day before the lesson I ask students to pay careful attention and be
    especially observant on their way to school.

    Students pair up. Student #1 gives verbal directions to student #2 on how
    he/she gets to school. Detailed directions with many landmarks. (I walk out
    the door, go down 4 steps, turn right and go one block past a fire hydrant,
    a white house with a big tree in the front yard, and a shingled house with
    flowers along the driveway,...) Student #2 writes the directions down as
    they are being dictated.

    Then #2 gives directions to #1.

    Using only the directions they wrote down students create a map which
    illustrates those directionas. Everything mentioned in the directions must
    be in the map. I always do an example first for the class. Maps can be as
    elaborate and colorful as students' imaginations.

    When the lesson is over I create a "treasure hunt" around the school for the
    class. I divide the class into two teams, make 2 separate sets of
    instructions to the "treasure" and see which group can get there
    first.There's always runner-up prizes for second place. We do other lessons
    with maps, but this one is always fun.

    Ginny Rockwood
    Brattleboro Area Middle School
    Brattleboro, VT