Re: Burlap

From: MarshArt
Date: Fri Jul 28 2000 - 14:36:09 PDT

    In a message dated 7/28/00 3:27:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
    Laura.McCoy.ca writes:

    > I'm putting together my lesson plans for the upcoming year, and am trying
    > to think of ideas using burlap.

    I have used burlap to teach a lesson in fiber arts and embroidery. Mexican
    clothing as well as so many other countries do it. I teach basic stitches to
    the younger ones...like the running stitch, French knots, satin stitch. Try
    to get a basic book at a craft or fabric store, or anywhere they sell
    embroidery thread.

    I have them do planning of a design, animal, or whatever first on paper.
    White chalk pencils are used to transfer their idea. They plan their own
    colors and we use rug yarn. Older kids can be taught more involved stitches
    and use more of a variety of fiber. Due to the coarseness of burlap, finer
    embroidery thread is not suitable.

    To secure the edges from raveling, I have them pull border threads, before
    embroidering. You can use Fray-Check (get it at a craft store) to keep from
    raveling further.

    Burlap can also be painted....

    Marsha

    ---