Re: Instructions :Doodle

From: Mbhirst
Date: Fri Jul 28 2000 - 13:50:35 PDT

        To those of you who were interested in my instructions for the creative
    "doodle- here they are:
    1. Make a short line
    2. Add another line to the short one
    3. Add a third line, giving it a slight curve
    4. Add a half dozen lines,all based on the first three
    5. Connect the free ends of the lines
    6. Distribute some dots in the drawing
    7. Project radiating lines from parts of the drawing
    8. Place little circles at the ends of some of the lines
    9. Add short dashes to some of the small circles
    10. Connect the ends of the dashes with curves

     I do this as an opening exercise in my Art II (high school) classes. I read
    a series of directions. I do not answer any questions, but I will repeat.
    When all are finished "doing"the series of directions, I have kids put them
    up on the board. We look at all of them. Then I ask "What is alike about all
    of these?" "what is different?" "Which one(s) look "good"? Whis ones are
    "bad?", etc. Then I summarize by telling the class that this is a perfect
    example of what art is... each student heard the same words, saw me giving
    the same directions, used the same media yet each "doodle" is unique. Each
    artist interpreted the information differently- it went in through ears, into
    brain, out fingers and came out uniquely theirs! This is what I want from
    each of you! Your own interpretation of whatever I ask you to do. I NEVER
    want yours to look like your neighbors, yet it should always have some of the
    same elements and characteristics.
    The kids then are asked to add lines, color, shapes, etc. to this "doodle" to
    make it into AN ARTWORK. The product may be realistic, abstract or
    nonobjective. This is their first assignment in my class. We then critique
    the "artworks" in a couple of days and bring in criteria such as
    craftsmanship, composition, skill, creativity, commitment, etc. This sets the
    stage for grading--- establishes what kind of criteria I look for in other
    work during the year. All who do this assignment get an A to start the qtr.
    with.
    It is a great non-threatening activity!
    Marcia

    ---