Re: Software

From: lburke
Date: Fri Jul 28 2000 - 12:43:22 PDT

    I just signed up for this ArtsEdNet and am very new to this. I am actually not
    a teacher yet but I am in the process of changing careers. I am a Photography
    editor for a group of newspapers. I currently use the Mac and would never go to
    a PC again. Our publishing company uses Abdobe Photoshop 5.5, QuarkXPress 4.0
    and Abdobe Illustrator 8.0 as the three main software packages for creating
    artwork and graphics and manipulating photographs, there isn't really anything
    better to use, but lots of subsitutes. Personally, I think the art class should
    be taught both. I attended George Washington University where I was taught
    traditional methods of photography as a fine art and other arts as well.
    However, when you get in the real world and try to make a living try getting a
    job without skills in the software I just mentioned. Even traditional artists
    need to know who to use these software packages very well for portfolio
    development at the very least. I use and hire top quality illustrators and most
    use the computer, a few will not. However, they do send me their portfolios on
    CD or I view them on websites created with HTML and the Abdobe software. Of
    course I didn't know any of this after graduating from art school either.
    Linda

    Jackie Aust <jab1997> on 07/28/2000 11:23:29 AM

    Please respond to "ArtsEdNet Talk" <artsednet>