line creation

From: MRJWITZ
Date: Fri Jul 28 2000 - 10:09:46 PDT

    I also do a line creation......the kids love it
    I do it when I introduce "Individuality/Creativity". I talk about how words
    and ideas are interrpreted differently and that's ok...etc.
    Then I tell them I am going to describe lines....and they are to put them on
    their papers.....my descriptions may mean different things to each child.....
    1- a straight line
    2- a swiggly line
    3- a line that touches itself
    4-two lines that touch.

    Then there is a twist....I collect the papers and give them out to other
    students
    I then ask them to create ONE composition using all of these lines and adding
    more. (Oh, I have them use a marker for the inital lines, collect the
    markers, and have them use crayons and pencils for the completion of the
    activity). We then compare and discuss how we are all the same in many ways
    but creatively, we are allowed and encouraged to be "different".....(I use
    this activity for testing into a gifted art program....it really shows
    creativity !!!!!!robin.

    Robin

    ---