re: teaching in a trailer

From: mcgugan (mcgugan)
Date: Fri Jul 28 2000 - 09:37:19 PDT

    A middle school I was in moved the art class to a trailer. There was no
    storage, no water, old crumbly chalk boards, two small bulletin boards and
    after we moved the tables in, no room. They put in a large utility sink and
    some wall shelves. I got a shelving unit with adjustable shelves from a
    local department store (which took up more space). I painted the walls
    above the chalk boards in really cool designs, made curtains to help with
    the noise (from a roll of fabric someone had given me, it was white with
    little bright colored alligators) and put tennis balls on the feet of all
    the chairs to also reduce noise - noise was magnified in that "box". The
    only good thing was the "flexible" wooden floor kept my heel spurs from
    hurting .

    The poor guy who took my place the next year threw away all those tennis
    balls the first week because the kids were throwing them all over the place!
    (he only stayed another week)

    Joy

    ---