RE: Instructions = Different Results RE: Appropriating Ideas

From: Lawrence A. Parker (occti)
Date: Fri Jul 28 2000 - 08:58:55 PDT

    There is a variation we do in RYLA Leadership training to illustrate
    communication.

    Have the students pair off, each with two sheets of paper. (Note: this
    whole process can be modeled first between the teacher and the whole class)

    Students in pairs stand back to back (for the modeling, the teacher stands
    with her back to the class).

    Each in turn gives a series of tearing and folding directions to the other,
    who follows the directions based only on the verbal directions.

    When they have finished the first sheet, they can turn and compare their
    sheets, and discuss the differences and why the differences occurred.

    If they wish, they can then talk about ways to make their communication more
    effective, and then try with the second sheet.

    ---