Re: "imagine" or "fantasize"

From: E Jane Beckwith (ejb35)
Date: Fri Jul 28 2000 - 06:43:07 PDT

    Hi Reatha. What have they done to portfolio assessment? Who has done this? Where
    can I find an example? How are the standards affecting your students. I think
    art standards came into being to combate art instruction that was "do anything
    you want," or "just express what you feel." I never was instructed this way nor
    did I ever teach this way. Motivation was always important. But talking to
    teachers now, I find that their schools might even limit what content is
    appropriate in the arts, and discourage some content. The conundrum for me as
    regards contemporary art is how do young people then explore in the arts those
    subjects of greatest salience to them? Subjects that might be uncomfortable to
    contemlate and express, as contemporary art by adults expresses ideas that
    reflect the uncomfortable in their lives. Subjects that require higher order
    thinking about choices, et

    ---