Re: "imagine" or "fantasize"

From: E Jane Beckwith (ejb35)
Date: Fri Jul 28 2000 - 06:26:31 PDT

    Peter, I too appreciated Deb's messages with references, no less! I know that NJ
    is going to test art to the standards, what does your standards based art test
    include? Can you refer me to any other states that require art students to be
    tested against the standards? In NY we teach to the standards, but have a lot of
    latitude in testing, so far. My art education began in the 1950s! A school
    friend of mine and I had lunch recently and agreed that it was an exciting day
    in 1957 when we were given a reproduction of Franz Marc's Tower of Blue Horses.
    She went on to a career in social work, I to become an artist and writer. How
    interesting it was to find how moved both she and I were as children by our
    confrontation with such a brilliant work, that horses could be blue, we already
    knew. Good art teachers have always included art history and aesthetics and art
    criticism within their programs. My teachers rienforced our art production with
    fine examples, music, poetry, literature. It was a wonderful education, and it
    was normal education in those days. . .Please let me know how the standards
    affect your teaching in a way that you seem to find limiting. Do you have a
    concrete example or so? Muc

    ---