RE: teaching art in a trailor

From: Kimberly Herbert (kimberly)
Date: Thu Jul 27 2000 - 20:19:58 PDT

    Our largest district has trailers like that. My problem with them is that
    here in West Texas 3 -6 times a year unexplained water falls from the sky.
    This is a called rain I think. It is almost always accompanied by pea sized
    to golf ball sized hail, down drafts, and tornadoes. ;-) Sarcasm aside, I
    think the trailers should not be used in areas that have frequent tornadoes.
    During the May 28th storm a few years ago, I was trapped on the road when
    the storm hit (I was working weekends at the museum then, and had no idea
    the storm was coming). I finally found my way into a parking lot and dashed
    for a store. I had some pretty bad bruises from the hail. I wrote the
    manager of the store (a Baskin and Robbins), and told her what a good job
    her teenage employees did. They had pulled a bunch of kids 9 - 12 years old
    into the store when the storm hit and all hell broke loose. The kids were
    making a dash for their homes a mile or more down the street (they had just
    left the movies). They had the kids call home and get let their parents know
    they were safe (and not go out looking for them) and then got everyone down
    in a windowless storeroom. They could see the door with one of those big
    round mirrors and would dash out and unlock the door (they had to lock it to
    keep it closed) if they saw someone looking for shelter. Just down the road
    from this store, most of a shopping strip center was destroyed by a
    downdraft. I hate to think what that storm would have been like in one of
    the school trailers. There was no warning - the sirens went off after the
    high winds and hail started. There would have been no time to get the kids
    into the safer main building.

    I was grilling tonight on the patio, thinking how nice it was as the sun was
    setting and it was cooling off. Then I looked at the thermometer it was 99
    degrees. I need a vacation (8 days to Canada and counting)

    Kimberly Herbert (kimberly)
    CAM Administrator