Re: Back to school

From: Laura McCoy (Laura.McCoy.ca)
Date: Thu Jul 27 2000 - 16:19:24 PDT

    I have an activity that I am going to use this year, a sort of "get to
    know you" activity which is a variation on something I did last year. Last
    you I did "Me Portfolios" and this year I am going to do "Me Kites".
    Basically what this involves is having the students create a kite (using
    wire hangers bent into some shape and covered with tissue paper, crepe
    paper, etc). Along the tail of the kites they will glue photos, write
    anecdotes, etc all about themselves and their families. It went really
    well last year - I used it with grade 7s who come from a variety of
    different schools, so they were new to me and new to each other. I made
    one and shared it with the students, and then they shared theirs. It
    really allowed me to get to know this group well, and they quickly became
    quite comfortable with each other.

    Laura

    ---