Re: Thinking and Education; was "imagine" or "fantasize"

From: Batmom44
Date: Thu Jul 27 2000 - 09:01:58 PDT

    In a message dated 7/27/00 11:40:12 AM Eastern Daylight Time, occti
    writes:

    << Workbooks are bought and handed out, and the class does exercises. >>

    I have strong feelings about workbooks. I cannot help but feel that they are
    a significant part of the problem in education today. Instead of teaching
    teachers the basic process of problem solving and then how to teach in that
    manner so that students are learning in a problem saving manner and naturally
    adapting more problem solving habits, we give the teachers a workbook to
    compensate for their lack of knowledge. Sometimes I think that our children
    are being taught almost everything with workbooks or worksheets.
    I started my campaign for teaching and learning in a problem solving manner
    back in the early 70's. I had a problem with my first reader on my master's
    thesis even understanding what I was doing. He was a PhD in Art Education.
    And interestingly enough he is a big name in the field at this time. So far I
    seem to be a member of a fraternity that continues to remain small. Perhaps
    our rallying cry should be down with workbooks!
    Reatha

    ---