Re: Block schedule

From: Jackie Aust (jab1997)
Date: Thu Jul 27 2000 - 06:33:24 PDT

    I have been on block scheduling in many forms but this year returning to
    the 7 period day. I have pro's and con's about it. Have been on 100
    minutes every day for 18 weeks = 1 credit 70 minutes for 12 weeks =
    1/2 credit ( was a trimester schedule)

    Pro's - 1. get more work done within a time frame.
               2. did give students who were absent minimum of days time to catch up

    Con's 1. Students had the mind set that it was hard to work solid for
    length of time, still in the mindset that they should only work for 50
    minutes if that much.
            2. Lessons that later only a week were hard for those who missed
    frequently, I usually had them make them up after school.
            3. Moving at a faster paced to get more in within shorter time frame
    was not good for special needs students.
            4. I didn't always have the same students back to back for first and
    second half, therefore it was like starting school over three times,
    once you really develop relationship with students, they were gone.

    Jackie

    ---