Instructions = Different Results RE: Appropriating Ideas

From: Kimberly Herbert (kimberly)
Date: Wed Jul 26 2000 - 20:11:04 PDT

    We have a fun activity we sometimes at the museum. We write out a list of
    instructions (3 - 5 different directions). A pair or small group of kids
    picks one card. They follow the directions without looking at each other's
    pictures. They all end up with something different (we do this when we are
    getting a lot of "I'm making the same thing as my best friend")

    Sample Directions
    1. Draw a large square.
    2. Turn your paper 1/4 turn
    3. Draw a long thick line
    4. Draw a small Triangle
    5. Draw a wavy line that connects three other line
    6. Finish your picture anyway you want (this is always the final
    instructions)

    Add more complicated vocabulary for older kids

    Kimberly Herbert (kimberly)
    CAM Administrator