Re: Venture into the block schedule

From: Bicyclken
Date: Wed Jul 26 2000 - 18:02:09 PDT

    In a message dated 07/26/2000 8:07:28 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
    d_shuster writes:

    > result of the block schedule). Looking for ways to
    > address the eventual issue of student absences and sub
    > ideas ( as I have subs now that cannot handle a 45
    > minute art class) Pros & cons pov welcome, as my
    > district is jumping headfirst into the shallow end of
    > the block schedule pool!!

    I have been working with the block schedule for the last 2 years. We have 95
    min classes every other day. The students love it and they get a lot done in
    class. You have to break it up with demo's, critiques, and stretching.

    We had a lot of concerns with absences, but if they miss 2 days they only
    missed you one time. The one time is equal to 2 old class days but they make
    up fast. It allows you to present a lesson and have them work on it in the
    same period so that they don't loose continuity.

    We could never go back and when we have a minimum day the kids say this is
    weird and they prefer the block schedule. You will not regret it!

    Ken Schwab
    San Jose CA

    ---