Re: "imagine" or "fantasize"

From: PHimmelber
Date: Wed Jul 26 2000 - 15:30:24 PDT

    Deb, et. al. This particular topic has had a strong political bent until Deb
    weighed in with her fine comments from the educational side of things.
    Sometimes, I fear, politics holds too much sway over our business of teaching
    children. Our school year starts August 8 (for teachers) here in my part of
    west Texas... guess that's why the governor made his late announcement of our
    celebration of art education in Texas. Seems that the calendar is not as
    precise as some of us would wish... but, hey, if we get any kind of
    recognition as art educators... let's just revel in it.
    More importantly, Deb's comments on the standards requirement bears witness
    to the reality of teaching to the test.. the TAAS in Texas. This is a poor
    substitute for the deeper and richer way that has been prescribed for a
    century starting with brother Dewey. I feel that I was hired to nurture
    imaginations, foster creative thought processes and give my students the
    empowering "hands on" that are not tested to a standard. I've got to work
    pretty hard to balance the "teaching (that) has been minimized to the kind of
    instruction that produces "robotic calculations" from learners." I see that
    there must be some kind of balance between standards and imagination for lack
    of a single word that would include all of the benefits of art education.
    Peter

    ---