Note: To protect the privacy of our members, e-mail addresses have been removed from the archived messages. As a result, some links may be broken.

Lesson Plans


dryer lint and lead


From: maryannkohl (maryann)
Date: Wed Jul 26 2000 - 11:07:44 PDT

  • Next message: Jason Contreras: "cancel my email subscription!!!"

    So what might be dangerous about DRYER LINT???

    Concern was voiced on another list I'm on
    about using DRYER LINT with kids in playdough or in any art project.
    So I have been trying to find out what that concern is based in.
    I think I've found what might be dangerous about dryer lint:

    If you have an old home or school house (before 1978), and your paint has
    lead in it (or even your pipes), lead particles may collect in the dryer
    lint of your washing appliance. Then, if kids play with it, they may get
    more lead in their mouths than they would otherwise because it's more
    concentrated in the lint (collected there). Lead can also be absorbed
    through the skin. And it can be breathed.
     People can get lead in their body if they:
         Put their hands or other objects covered with lead dust in their
    mouths.
         Eat paint chips or soil that contain lead.
         Breathe in lead dust (especially during renovations that disturb
    painted surfaces).

    Lead and children is a much bigger concern than just playdough recipes
    that use lint, but lint can certainly be a factor and worth knowing if
    indeed there is lead in the collected lint.

    Also, I think lint can be a "breathing" issue...like powder or other
    things that float around and kids might breathe in too much, with or
    without lead.

    I searched health sites and safety standard sites and washing appliance
    sites and on and on. No one had anything else to say about dryer lint as
    a health hazard, other than that it's a fire hazard simply because it's
    lint and it's in an electrical appliance. So, collection of lead might be
    significant in some cases. The real issue to to get checked for lead in
    your home or school, not to worry about making dryer lint playdough.

    Want More? ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
         ***Here's an article about lead:
    You can read the rest of it at....
    http://www.ecomall.com/greenshopping/epalead2.htm

    IMPORTANT LEAD PAINT FACTS
        *Lead From Paint, Dust, and Soil Can Be Dangerous If Not Managed
    Properly*

     FACT: Lead exposure can harm young children and babies even before they
    are born.
     FACT: Even children that seem healthy can have high levels of lead in
    their bodies.
     FACT: People can get lead in their bodies by breathing or swallowing
    lead dust, or by eating soil or paint chips with lead in them.
     FACT: People have many options for reducing lead hazards. In most cases,
    lead-based paint that is in good condition is not a hazard.
     FACT: Removing lead-based paint improperly can increase the danger to
    your family. If you think your home might have lead hazards, read this
    pamphlet to learn some simple steps to protect your family.

     LEAD GETS IN THE BODY IN MANY WAYS
    *1 out of every 11 children in the United States has dangerous levels of
    lead in the blood stream.*
    *Even children who appear healthy can have dangerous levels of lead.*
     People can get lead in their body if they:
         Put their hands or other objects covered with lead dust in their
    mouths.
         Eat paint chips or soil that contain lead.
         Breathe in lead dust (especially during renovations that disturb
    painted surfaces).

    Lead is even more dangerous to children than adults because:
         Babies and young children often put their hands and other objects in
    their mouths. These objects can have lead dust on them.
         Children's growing bodies absorb more lead.
         Children's brains and nervous systems are more sensitive to the
    damaging effects of lead.

    Lead's Effects
    If not detected early, children with high levels of lead in their bodies
    can suffer from:
         Damage to the brain and nervous system
          Behavior and learning problems (such as hyperactivity)
         Slowed growth
         Hearing problems
         Headaches

    Lead is also harmful to adults. Adults can suffer from:
          Difficulties during pregnancy
          Other reproductive problems (in both men and women)
          High blood pressure
          Digestive problems
          Nerve disorders
          Memory and concentration problems
          Muscle and joint pain
    *Lead affects the body in many ways.*

    CHECKING YOUR FAMILY FOR LEAD
     *Get your children tested if you think your home has high levels of
    lead.*
         A simple blood test can detect high levels of lead. Blood tests are
    important for:
              Children who are 6 months to 1 year old (6 months if you live
    in an older home that might have lead in the paint).
              Family members that you think might have high levels of lead.
              If your child is older than 1 year, talk to your doctor about
    whether your child needs testing.
              Your doctor or health center can do blood tests. They are
    inexpensive and sometimes free. Your doctor will explain what the test
    results mean. Treatment can range from changes in your diet to medication
    or a hospital stay.

    Read the rest of this article at....
    http://www.ecomall.com/greenshopping/epalead2.htm

     
    ======================
     
    maryann
    http://www.brightring.com

     

    ---
    



    This archive was generated by hypermail 2b29 : Wed Jul 26 2000 - 11:03:56 PDT