Daydreaming / thanks to Larry

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan)
Date: Wed Jul 26 2000 - 09:47:14 PDT

    NewsScan Daily Archives

                                                WORTH THINKING ABOUT: DAYDREAMING
                                                        Michael Pollan takes
    the guilt out of daydreaming.
                                                         "Daydreaming does
    not enjoy tremendous prestige in our culture,
    which tends to regard it as unproductive thought. Writers perhaps
    appreciate its importance better
    than most, since a fair amount of what they call work consists of
    little more than daydreaming edited.
    Yet anyone who reads for pleasure should prize it too, for what is
    reading a good book but a daydream at
    second hand? Unlike any other form of thought, daydreaming is its own
    reward. For regardless
    of the result (if any), the very process of daydreaming is
    pleasurable. And, I would guess, is
    probably a psychological necessity. For isn't it in our daydreams that
    we acquire some sense
    of what we are about? Where we try on futures and practice our voices
    before committing
    ourselves to words or deeds? Daydreaming is where we go to cultivate
    the self, or, more likely,
    selves, out of the view and earshot of other people. Without its
    daydreams, the self is apt to
    shrink down to the size and shape of the estimation of others."

    Ask anyone from a Native-American culture about the value of dreams.
    They will explain how the
    dream is more real than the waking world. Just a thought, Woody in KC

    --
                           To respond to me privately via E-mail
                               click on wduncan

     to see Rosedale's best go to http://www.taospaint.com/BestArtist.html