Imagination in Texas

From: Kay Savay (kay.savay.us)
Date: Wed Jul 26 2000 - 09:38:35 PDT

    "Imagination" is still legal in Texas textbooks!

    Pam was right when she said that a small group of vocal ultra conservatives
    opposed concepts like "outcome based education" and other reforms. They
    made that phrase one to be avoided while the Texas Essential Knowledge and
    Skills (TEKS) were being written and ratified. But "imagination" survived
    the assault along with create, intuitive, original, and invent. They are
    imbedded in the expectations for learners throught the TEKS.

    Our district, Richardson (the one still needing art teachers!) adopted the
    Portfolio-State of the Art series. I took a quick look through the first
    grade textbook and found imagination both in the student text and imbedded
    in the expectations for learning.

    ---