Re: Venture into the block schedule

From: The Austin's (whest177)
Date: Wed Jul 26 2000 - 08:36:31 PDT

    We have been doing block schedule for 3 years now - we jumped in very
    green - 1 day training right before school starts. I found that we get alot
    more work done. Since we are a production class I have found that it was
    easier for me to make the transition as opposed to the lecture classes. We
    have 1 block set aside for "Seminar" (also called study hall). All students
    have this class - same hour, same time. When a student is absent, if it is
    something he/she cannot make up otherwise, then they come to my class during
    seminar, so absences are not a problem with block. Subs on the other hand...
    If they cannot handle 45 minutes in your class then you need new subs! But
    as you don't have much control over that then maybe you could have art games
    set up for them to play that hour, or something the kids will look forward
    to that a sub could handle.
    ~Michal

    > I teach grade 8 art, Studio in Art and 2 electives
    > (that have been "promised" not to be reduced as a
    > result of the block schedule). Looking for ways to
    > address the eventual issue of student absences and sub
    > ideas ( as I have subs now that cannot handle a 45
    > minute art class) Pros & cons pov welcome, as my
    > district is jumping headfirst into the shallow end of
    > the block schedule pool!!

    ---