stolen art and forgeries

From: Litesal (litesal)
Date: Wed Jul 26 2000 - 07:07:33 PDT

    Dear Colleagues,

    Recently there was a thread on stolen art. I just wanted to pass along that
    the Summer 2000 ARTnews magazine is full of articles about how stolen art is
    currently being handled legally. Apparently, problems are arising when a
    museum in one country is allowing museums in other countries borrow the
    work. Since the laws are different in each country, a rightful owner of
    certain works would try to get the work back when the law favors them. Laws
    seem to be changing quickly in regards to this problem.

    Also. There is a good article about Van Gogh paintings and what may be
    hundreds of forged works.

    I like ARTnews because it really covers current issues, like a newspaper.

    Leah

    ---