Appropriating Ideas

From: Litesal (litesal)
Date: Wed Jul 26 2000 - 06:58:45 PDT

    Hello. Just a thought on appropriation and perhaps an interesting lesson?
    When someone describes something visual to you, either verbally, or in
    written form (like on this list), it's interesting to see what kind of
    visual recreation you achieve. For example, my colleague often verbalizes
    project ideas to me. Then I go up to my room and make an example using her
    verbal instructions. Though the concept of the work is the same, the visual
    results are often very different than the examples that she created. This
    is one of my favorite ways to borrow ideas.

    Perhaps this could turn into an interesting lesson where students describe
    things to one another, create the described work, then compare the results.
    A good lesson in how verbal, written, and visual communication differs. I
    did this once in a third grade class. They created a monster (knowing
    they'd have to describe it in writing), then wrote instructions on how to
    create it. If the person following the instructions made a monster that
    looked like the instruction writer's monster it was good communication.
    Interesting.

    Leah

    ---