Arts and Activities and originality

From: Litesal (litesal)
Date: Wed Jul 26 2000 - 06:46:13 PDT

    Dear Jan and All,
    > Good points Leah. First I think it is good how teachers are able to keep
    and
    > access files and work hard in general to use their resources.

    Yes, visual arts is such a vast subject, I think it's important that we keep
    abreast of what people are doing in arts education.

    > hand we can tend to get comfortable and lazy about using our own
    imagination
    > when it is so easy to select from the sources we have.

    I think it is very diffucult to produce ideas in a vacuum. Most of us use
    these sources to trigger new ideas, so we are using our imagination. Plus
    wading through hundreds of magazines is not a lazy endeavor.

    > I guess there are so many good ideas out there and so little time to
    try
    > them all that we figure why bother stretching the brain. Lately I have
    been
    > working on my critical thinking skills. Since I will be asking my
    students
    > to think, I decided I had better do so too.

    Even if you came up with a bunch of ideas "all by yourself" you'd probably
    find them showing up in other places. Which was the point of my other post.
    Now the question is . . . Did you see it before? or Did someone else have
    the same great idea?

    Leah

    ---