Arts and Activities

From: Litesal (litesal)
Date: Tue Jul 25 2000 - 05:49:51 PDT

    Hello.
    I've just spent the last few days going through donated Arts and Activities
    magazines from 1980 to 1990. I have cut out, and categorized all the
    articles that interest me. I'm most excited about all the clip and save
    prints that I found! The reason I'm writing though, is that I found it very
    interesting how we all seem to be "steeped" in Arts and Activities. Many of
    the excellent ideas I've seen on the list, I saw in the magazines. Even
    lessons I use, but didn't know where I got the ideas, I found in there (must
    have been passed down from other teachers who subscribed to the magazine).
    I wonder if we even realize that many of our ideas came from there? It
    really is a good magazine.

    This also gets me thinking about originality in general . . . is anything we
    do in art really new? I can't tell you how many times I've visually
    responded to an issue in what I thought was a unique way, only to open up
    Art in America, or ArtNews and see that some other contemporary artist got
    there first! Then I think, did I see that before, or are we (the other
    artist and I) coming from the same experience? It reminds me of when I was a
    child, I used to try to write songs, but every tune I came up with was
    inadvertently copied!
    Just some rambling thoughts . . .
    Leah

    ---