Texas Texbooks was RE: Elementary Art Job Openings

From: Kimberly Herbert (kimberly)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2000 - 20:10:42 PDT

    Jane,
            This is not Kay, but I can explain about Texas and California
    dominating textbook content. California, New York, and Texas buy the most
    textbooks. Texas and California both have statewide textbook approval. In
    both state this is political system (at least we are at opposite ends of the
    political spectrum). Generally this does have negative effects, but it can
    also have positive effects. For example a textbook watchdog group found
    100's of errors things like incorrect dates, scientific errors, historic
    figures being put on the wrong side of historic debates etc.

    Kimberly Herbert (kimberly)
    CAM Administrator