Re: Nudity Elementary Art and 6th grade question

From: E Jane Beckwith (ejb35)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2000 - 10:54:32 PDT

    I'd love to know the gist of your standard lecture on these topics. This will be
    a help to me.

    I have to go through all my textbooks, page by page, to erase or white-out the
    phalluses drawn on horses, people, things and in the margins.

    I remember reading an article on archaeologists finding a grafitto from ancient
    Greece of a phallus and the phrase (in Greek, of course) "handle with care."

    I think this rash of the subject in drawings and sometimes ceramics is probably
    to be expected. Kids are curious and concerned about body image and what is
    "normal." I recently took three students to see Egyptian wall paintings at the
    Met and the boy in the group absolutely homed in on the physical attributes of a
    bull, in a room crowded with hundreds of wall paintings. The girls noticed the
    see-through dress of the figures. So it is on their minds, for sure. Who first
    said that this age group was "hormones in sneakers?"

    So what do we say to not belittle their needs but to discourage rude

    ---