Re: No subject (Contempory Art;Jane)

From: Bicyclken
Date: Mon Jul 24 2000 - 06:48:42 PDT

    In a message dated 07/23/2000 10:58:58 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
    Janjarreau writes:

    > I always like to tell the students that the average time a person looks at
    > work of art in a museum is 7 seconds. Then I say what a shame that is and
    > if
    > they do the above formal criticism, they could go on for at least 45
    minutes

    > and actually change their mind about a piece of art. I love to take an
    > abstract piece and break it down for the students and then watch their
    > reaction change once they learn more about it.
    > Take care.
    > Janice

    I agree with you Janice. I believe that when you educate young or old people
    to begin to see the works and understand the process, the concept, and the
    critical breakdown, they will become interested. My students react like
    normal kids when we talk about more abstract artists and I hope that before
    I'm done they can appreciate their work and have the knowledge to see what
    they were trying to do. Even if I don't like a piece of art I find that I
    can at least say that I am comfortable with what they were trying to do with
    their art statement. High school kids are not against modern artists they
    just need to know more about them and their purpose in the art world.

    Ken Schwab
    San Jose CA

    ---