Nudity Elementary Art

From: L. E. Horvath (dulcius)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2000 - 05:37:57 PDT

    This thread reminds me of a time several years ago when I was working with an after school school-age program at a day care. Over the period of several days, I kept noticing a group of 3 or 4 boys, age about 10 - 12, huddled in a corner looking at an encyclopedia from the room set. I figured that the voulme would be maybe "H" for human anatomy, or "R" for reproductive system, but no, they were looking at "I"! If I got close enough to find out what they were looking at, they would be studiously examining "instects" or "India". Finally one day, I got the "I" volume out to see what could possibly be so "interesting". There it was, the most fascinating article in the book - "Ingres", complete with a reproduction (and only in black and white!) of "La Grande Odalisque"! The next time I noticed the furtive little huddle, I sneaked up on them and said, "Oh, I see you're interested in the art of Ingres! I hope you read the article so we can talk about why this painting is considered so great!" and walked away. I never saw them in their huddle again! :-)
    -Lydia in Toledo

    ---