Re: nudity- interpreting themes in art

From: LOUISE HARVILLA (harv4art)
Date: Sun Jul 23 2000 - 17:12:11 PDT

    Dear Michelle,

            Good Luck with this one! I KNOW my district, from the administration
    down to a community member off the street, and it just wouldn't be worth
    the aggravation I would be put through trying to defend my choices and
    illuminate those who simply wouldn't understand. Our school board is
    'archaic' in their thinking. Having the students understand or gain an
    appreciation of, and awareness of, the classics is or should be one of
    our many important goals as art educators. To be able to use the term
    "aesthetics" and start your students onto an understanding of aesthetics
    is I feel what you would be doing but my opinion is get a feel for your
    constituents first, don't get them confused or alarmed. Ease into your
    show of the modern Venus. Win supporters first. That's just my SAFE
    opinion. - Louise

    ---