Re: Nudity Elementary Art and 6th grade question

From: Amenay2
Date: Sun Jul 23 2000 - 13:45:28 PDT

    I always prepared my students with a lecture about what they were to
    see...what they might see...and proper museum etiquette...this includes my
    lecture on nudes...naked...and pornography. After this I use a modified
    quote from O'Keeffe regarding what one sees in a painting is in the eye of
    the beholder and is not necessarily the intention of the artist. Nude
    figures are in all of my art books and subject to student viewing at any
    time...students are allowed to use these books IF they are mature enough to
    appreciate the nature of the nude figure in art. If not...they are no longer
    allowed access to the art books for research. After awhile I usually get an
    apology and a please may I use the art books for research.

    I am in HS now and have found the phallic symbols drawn here and there really
    annoying. We had a rash of them last year...almost to the point of
    vandalism. I started a counter offensive with some comments about immaturity
    and the artist's personal hang-ups. Stopped seeing them so frequently after
    a few comments to this affect.

    ---