re: sub plans

From: Teri Mason (terily)
Date: Sun Jul 23 2000 - 09:53:42 PDT

    Hi Gang,
      I like the ideas that have been mentioned. The one problem I have
    (teaching K-5 now, instead of K-12, yea!) with elementary, is that I
    only see them one time per week. If I have to be out say 1 or 2 days,
    those classes get behind on the regular projects. I learned long ago
    not to let subs have them work on their projects. I have high
    expectations and when I'm not there, many (not all) will do the "rush
    and be first finished" thing and basically ruin their projects. We have
    the same regular subs, which all know me well, but they also appreciate
    easy lessons. My K-1s get to have free clay day, which is modeling
    clay. It's really the only time they get to do this, so they enjoy it.
    Older kids might watch a Commander Mark video on drawing (Draw Squad)
    and do the activities in their sketch books. So in order not to get off
    track too badly (if it's a planned absence) I just have to do the "sub
    plan" for the entire week, even when I'm there. I guess it's a nice
    break for me, too, and the kids love the activities, because they are
    "special."

    teri

    ---