Re: 6th grade question.....

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer.us)
Date: Sat Jul 22 2000 - 22:34:48 PDT

    >From: Alasann1
    > I also think there are a whole different set of rules for 6th graders.
    > Any response?
    > I am teaching them for the 1st time in 6 years this next year. How do you
    > keep them on task? What interests this complex population?
    ***********************

    I'm gathering you teach elementary up to 6th grade since you mentioned 5th
    and under. It's very interesting to read your take on teaching 6th graders
    from your perspective. I'm also guessing you see them at the top of the
    social hierarchy or "top dogs" at your school.

    I see them from another point of view being that I teach 6th, 7th, and 8th.
    In my case they are at the bottom of the pecking order so I see them as
    timid, most are shy, some still hug you around the neck, give you holiday
    presents, immature and clueless in a new setting of class period changes but
    most eager and willing. I rarely have dicipline problems with 6th graders in
    general. As they progress to 7th they start getting a little cocky but
    usually know the limits in general. Forget most of the hugs...not cool.
    Eight graders are a diff. breed of animal althogether. Some are absolute
    gems and others are...well...er...aaaah...gray hair makers. They're
    somewhere in between a kid and a teenager...that exciting land of hormones
    and heavy metal...desparately wanting to be a grown-up but too immature to
    know how to accomplish it...testing teachers, parents and other sundry rule
    makers to find out where the absolute limit is.

    I'm wondering if someone who teaches high school 9th graders would give us
    their "take" on 9th through 12 graders. Does anyone else on the listserv
    teach 8th graders in a high school setting? IMHO it all depends on your
    point of view.

    ---