cowboy projects

From: MPBC90
Date: Sat Jul 22 2000 - 15:15:37 PDT

    does anyone have any cowboy type projects - remember this is
    elementary! I have thought about drawing boots and creating the designs on
    the sides (like the detailed stitching on real boots), designing bandanas,
    saddle blankets, etc. but could really use some help and ideas on exactly
    what type projects to do. I know how I want to tie it all in to the state
    standards, my own outcomes, etc., but am struggling with WHAT projects to
    do! I could do with some help brainstorming here!
    MICHAL

    Dear Michal,
    How about Frederic Remington?? I did a fun lesson comparing and contrasting
    (this was 1st and 2nd) his Rattlesnake sculpture (cowboy on horse rearing
    from a rattlesnake) and Alexander Calder's Cowboy on a Horse sculpture. The
    kids thought the similarity in names was fun, as the sculptures were so
    different. You could follow with a "found object" and wire sculpture, note
    the difference of REAList and whimsical, etc. Just some brainstorming. I
    know I am late responding and am still catching up on posts. Let me know if
    you want any more info on this lesson. I have it on file in plan book.
    :)
    MP

    ---