Re: interesting year ahead

From: DtGaffney
Date: Sat Jul 22 2000 - 08:58:46 PDT

    Regarding an interesting year ahead,

    I accepted a position with an elementary school for which I am very excited.
    I found out later that I am to go to another school once a week for a half
    day. Not a big problem I thought. Then I found out that my students have art
    class only once a week. I have 4 sections of each grade 1-5. So that means I
    am seeing approximately 500 students a week, before I go to the other school
    for four classes. Whew! I'm a little conerned about learning all the
    students' names. I thought I would have each class hold up name place tags
    for a group photograph. That way at least I can study the photos or refer to
    them from time to time. It is going to be way too expensive to take a photo
    of each student.

    A question I have for all of you is what can you tell me about "Enrichment"
    art classes. One of my classes at the alternate school is a 5th grade
    Enrichment class. From what I understand it is an elective, like chorus, pe
    etc. So it is over and above the art class they already take. I, of course
    will meet with the school's art teacher. But I thought knowing a little bit
    about Enrichment art class would help be somewhat informed BEFORE I see her.

    Thanks so much for all the help. I have learned so much from all of you.
    Starting out as a new teacher is very daunting!

    Many thanks,

    Donna G

    ---