Re: teaching contemporary art

From: LOUISE HARVILLA (harv4art)
Date: Sat Jul 22 2000 - 06:39:18 PDT

    Dear Henry,

            Reverse scanning...neat idea! I had the privelege to hear Terry Barrett
    speak to a group of arts educators... music, theater, visual arts and
    dance. I have his book, TALKING ABOUT STUDENT ART by Davis
    publications. His 2 hour presentation was just a teaser. I wish I could
    take an entire course, his book could serve as the text. I'm not good at
    working from a written text, sans discussion and visuals that are
    tangible and arriving at a true understanding. Thank God for Howard
    Gardner! Prior to his revelations, I always felt stupid with many black
    n' white clad nuns in Catholic school to emphasize that feeling! I
    graduated in 78' with my degree in Art Ed. and there was much missing
    from the program. I have been trying to gain what i missed out on ever
    since. I DO hope they are preparing Arts Educators in ALL these
    dimensions today, it's tough to face young learners virtually unprepared
    in some areas. Louise

    ---