Re: contemporary art/aesthetics

From: Yvette Lewis (yvlewis)
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 21:03:06 PDT

    This has been an interesting thread. I actually don't find that "scanning"
    reduces the artwork or interfers with an aesthetic experience. The
    description and analysis of the elements and principals, the components,
    helps to slow down the eye and the mind so that only the observed properties
    are focused upon. Art history is put aside, the meaning is put aside, and
    what is there starts to emerge. With something I don't understand or even
    like it helps to look at it long enough to get past my particular
    prejudgements. I also find with students when they start with a description,
    the interpretation has more depth. They can say more than I like it or I
    hate it.

    Yvette

    ---