Re: art gratitude journals (Sandra)

From: Holly112
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 19:40:53 PDT

    In a message dated 07/21/2000 2:10:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
    astroboy writes:

    << Here is my idea, borrowed from Oprah's guest's book. "Simple
     abundance" is a book about being grateful of being. Basically if you
     believe good thoughts and write 5 down each day then you will
     improve personally and improve your quality of life. >>

    Dear Sandra,

    I like Oprah too, and I also got an idea from watching her show! I'm going
    to start the kids out making half of their sketchbook a visual (discovery)
    journal. They'll be able to make collages &/or draw, use watercolor pencils,
    markers, paint etc. They can use magazine or even junk mail images,
    headlines, whatever speaks to them. They'll be no right or wrong. I'm
    planning on using this as a sponge activity when kids get done early with a
    project. Slowpokes will have to do it on their own time, but I will count it
    as a grade. Extra work on it = extra credit...I bet I'll learn a lot about
    some students, but what I'm hoping for is that they start to be a little more
    conscious of who they are. I'll be teaching middle school, I thought that
    that age is already egocentric, so it might work out......

    Thinking of 5 things a day to be grateful for has changed my life for the
    better too.
    I might try this idea with them too! Thanx

    Holly :0)

    ---