Re: Substitute Sob tale.......

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer.us)
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 10:41:38 PDT

    from: Bunki Kramer (bkramer.us)
    Los Cerros Middle School
    968 Blemer Road
    Danville, CA 94526
    ************************
    > Our school district made up a district notebook of emergency sub plans for
    > k-12.> Every school has a copy and the subs are introduced to the book at
    their > training.> It was developed to help teachers who have emergencies
    come up or subs who > are not left with plans.
    > It has been a great asset and the subs have gotten familiar with it and feel
    > very comfortable with the notebook. In many cases it has proved to be a
    > lifesaver.
    *************************

    This is an absolutely fantastic idea. Our wonderful (?) district provides
    nothing to subs nor do the administrators (except the calling service which
    is another frustrating story). Everything is left up to the individual
    teacher to relay messages to the sub that day. Some teachers have made their
    own sub folder but some haven't. I wish our district would take some
    pointers from the other districts mentioned here. Since our sub list is
    sooooo small..."duh" from what your other districts do...you have to "plan"
    your adsences. If...heavens forbid...the unplanned absence occurs and none
    of the few subs are available, then another teacher's prep is effected and
    you have to re-imburse those teachers $20 each. All this tends to keep you
    in your classroom unless you are dying...or close to. Maybe THAT'S their
    plan, hummmm?

    Another sad tale is finding a student who happens to be in a rotation that
    period. The counselors can't keep up with the rotations...don't seem to
    remember when they change, etc...so they are constantly coming to us and
    we're saying..."I had him two rotations ago", or "I haven't had him yet".
    The excuse is they are on the "new" computer system...the "new" computer
    system started 3 years ago, BTW.

    And...I wouldn't venture into elementary territory for all the tea in China.
    I think you elementary teachers are absolute angels and definitely
    underpaid! You should be paid MORE than the rest of us just for patience
    alone! Toodles........

    ---