interesting year ahead

From: Fields, Linda (fieldsl.us)
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 10:03:02 PDT

    Well, the latest in my little corner of the world is that our school board
    is suing our county commissioners for failing to provided an adequate
    budget. In order to have a leg to stand on, the school board has decided to
    fill classes to the max and cut positions-somewhere in the neighborhood of
    143-54 of them teachers. They have also cut programs that have no "standard
    course of study" so we will no longer have weight training, creative
    writing, Japanese, or crafts. My crafts course is one I designed to
    accommodate kids of limited ability so they could still have creative
    hands-on activities but not as much of the academic. This now means that my
    former crafts class has now been re-scheduled into my art classes-have 113
    registered for Art I. My school is supposed to get 200+ more kids and we
    will have 3 fewer teachers. It seems to be a political shell game these
    people are playing, but meanwhile, we teachers and our kids are the ones who
    will suffer. The opening of school in 3 weeks should be real interesting.
            Meanwhile, after 3 weeks of teaching summer school and going to
    conferences, I am off for a much needed week at the beach. Later-Linda in NC

    ---