Re: 3 help questions on one post- Early El, El, and Intro High (longish)

From: Yvette Lewis (yvlewis)
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 08:34:52 PDT

    I have been teaching a foundation art class (9th grade) from many years. I start out the year with a sampling of different drawing styles. Gestures of bottles and a still life, contour of sneakers (that seems so common it's traditional!) and then value studies of tools and such that I find at the local surplus store.These they have to enlarge. Then depending on the class, there might be contours of leaves and plants, value studies in white pancil on black paper of blocks and contours of still life. This usually takes the first 10 weeks. By Then they are fairly confident to draw almost anything I presnt them with. Later on in the year we do gesture and contour drawings of faces and full figures. After an introduction to Kirschner and others of De Bruke, Emile Nolde. The drawings are translated into a print using linoleum. So the foundation in different drawing styles gives them an ability to explore in more depth later on. Also since I start with gestures in black and grey pastels then move to contours in pen, the students do not get their hands on a pencil until the value studies. By this time they are all really anxious to use something that is not messy and they can erase! I have so much fun!

    Yvette

    ---