Re: speaking of Pigs...and Moose

From: Laura McCoy (Laura.McCoy.ca)
Date: Thu Jul 20 2000 - 18:43:09 PDT

    I live here in Toronto and we do, indeed, have moose! Unfortunately, I
    think that what started as a kind of cool art project has turned into sort
    of ridiculous corporate advertising. I have a friend who was given a moose
    (after having submitted a proposal and gone through the jury process). She
    said that at the beginning this jury process was quite rigorous, but then
    when companies started lining up top "buy" (sponsor) the moose, they began
    giving them away to anyone who would paint whatever the corporation
    wanted. So now, we have a Roots Moose, that looks like a leather jacket,
    an Honest Ed's Moose (that's a store here), etc etc. Which is not to say
    that they're all horrible. There are some interesting ones: a couple by
    Charles Pachter, a Canadian artist famous for his paintings of moose, a
    leather moose in the gay district, a macoroni moose in little Italy. An
    interesting note - almost 75% or something have had their antlers stolen!!
    And finally, a group of people have made an unofficial "Homeless Moose" to
    publicize the real trouble that we have with homelessness in Toronto, and
    the lack of funding that both the province and the city is giving to
    housing people in need.

    Laura

    ---