Re: AP on the elementary level

From: Rick (rlarson)
Date: Thu Jul 20 2000 - 11:20:36 PDT

    Hi Christine- Almost all of the kids in the 'Academic Challenge" in our district
    were very good in their drawing skills .. Some wanted to elaborate and work
    with precision to the point that , if I'd let them, they would drag the project
    out for ages. Not all had the gift of drawing or even elaboration for that
    matter, but had gotten in the program because of math and reading scores. I
    guess what I learned from this experience (after 5 or 6 years of 'AC" is that
    they were still kids, needed to learn the basics and given some guidelines as to
    time. Assessment will really help as well as rubrics. One nightmare experience
    was that I for two years I taught a 4-6 multiage( multi ability and challenges)
    with a 6th grade AC- 30 in a class the size of a small garage( and looked like
    one too<gg). I really had to get verbal to let the administration see the
    craziness of this practice. Evidently the 6th graders were funneled into
    special classes for a certain period and mine was one.of them. Betsy

    christine kotarsky wrote:

    > I have been reading the threads of messages on AP. I too will be teaching AP
    > classes or what we call the gifted and tallented or Excells.

    ---