Re: Simple Substitute Plans

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer.us)
Date: Thu Jul 20 2000 - 10:18:30 PDT

    from: Bunki Kramer (bkramer.us)
    Los Cerros Middle School
    968 Blemer Road
    Danville, CA 94526
    ************************
    >From: "The Austin's" <whest177>
    > Oh, the thought of having an art teacher for a sub *sigh* - life would be so
    > easy! *L*.....Michal

    Oooooh. Be careful what you wish for. I've had two instances when the subs
    were art teachers. I guess both got so excited about teaching art classes
    that they both went hog wild and took my lessons in another direction I
    wasn't lookin' to go. I had to "undo" misinformation given by one sub (all
    day) which was touchy because I didn't want to make her look inept with the
    kids and the other drew on kids' works because it didn't look right to him.
    Because if this, I prefer non-art teacher subs. They are not quite so
    enthusiastic about displaying their abilities.

    Videos haven't worked for me either because most of the subs coming to our
    school dislike video lesson plans.

    I prime my students two days before a sub if possible. I also plan a project
    in which the students will be in the second or third day so they have a clue
    as to what to do without me and all basic questions are asked by then.

    The second or third day of a semester I show students the two boxes at the
    back of the room labeled "Extra Credit". I allow them this one day to begin
    one. This is something they can go back to repeatedly to work on during the
    semester soooooo....when unplanned absences happen, students go into "extra
    credit" mode smoothly with generally little problems. It's like they've been
    already trained.

    What kind of extra credit do I use? I use Jay Conley's ADVENTURES IN ART.
    He's a high school teacher in Colorado who has loose leaf lessons on things
    like perspective, texture, drawing castles, haunted houses, diff. fish,
    horses, classic cars, monsters,....T-O-N-S of stuff which have the easy and
    general directions written out for the student right on the sheets. I run
    off 15 copies of each and put them into soda flats in the back of the room
    where they stay all year. I don't have his address at my fingertips but I
    can get it at school easily enough if anyone is interested. Let me know. It
    has solved most of my problems like early finishers/sub days/etc.

    My biggest problem is keeping the sub entertained and not bored because
    there is basically nothing to do but babysit. I leave a diet coke in my
    little fridge for them plus coffee, cream, sugar, and tea bags with
    cup...and a big "thank-you" card (I buy a bunch at one time for this
    purpose). I also leave my seating chart and a list of instructions including
    the personality of each class so she/he will know ahead of time that one
    class tends to get noisy, one class is sweet, one class is the pits (keep
    your eye on so-and-so), etc. Subs tell me they appreciate this in particular
    because they're prepared ahead of time for possible problems. I've made a
    template on my computer for sub instructions so it takes me seconds to type
    up a new one.

    I also leave a standard sheet (I run off about 10 each year) of all the
    little nick-picky things I like to have checked in my room like..."check the
    pencil and earaser blks. of wood to see everything's there before they
    leave"...etc. This sheet I staple to the day's lesson plan sheet (no use
    having your room messy when you return, hum?).

    BTW...there's always glitches in the system but it seems to flow pretty
    smooth generally. Toodles.......

    ---