Re: Simple Substitute Plans

From: The Austin's (whest177)
Date: Thu Jul 20 2000 - 08:56:15 PDT

    Oh, the thought of having an art teacher for a sub *sigh* - life would be so
    easy! *L* When I have to be gone, if I know in advance I pull all my
    examples out and leave them in plain site. Then I do a step by step that
    lets the sub know what to do and say (lets them use vocabulary with the
    kids, which they appreciate). I let the sub know which students to watch out
    for, who's helpful, how to pass out supplies, how to clean up. This may
    sound dictatorish, but if the sub actuallly wants to teach something in 25
    minutes with elementary then they need organizational instructions as well.
    I usually have the sub do something different with the middle/high school
    kids - it seems like they all "get finished" while the sub is there so they
    have "nothing to do" so they do their math or just sit and visit. So I
    always leave a one day assignment for the sub to present and then collect at
    the end of class. I don't like leaving videos for subs, as it seems like
    there is always more discipline problems. I do have a couple videos, and if
    I do use them when the sub is there I have worksheets for the kids to fill
    out. If I'm gone without the advanced preperation then I have emergency sub
    plans full of worksheets the sub can use. Not great, but unavoidable. I wish
    I could just write in the box - do problems 5-8 - and be done with it! *L*
    ~Michal

    > Last year after graduating in Dec. I subbed for spring semester
    > sometimes for art teachers, other times for anyone. The HS art teacher
    > (my co-op teacher during student teaching) just left me the plans for
    > whatever she was working on with the students. I did understand her
    > system. The elementary teacher left me a great plan. Granted she knew I
    > was an art teacher, but anyone could have done this. I read the story
    > "Where the Wild Things Are" and had the students draw their own wild
    > thing. Example: Chicken head, cat body, and duck feet. I drew up an
    > example quickly before classes started, but for the non art sub having
    > one on file would be a good idea.

    ---