Re: teaching contemporary art From: Patricia Knott July 19, 2000

From: Lyden1819
Date: Thu Jul 20 2000 - 08:37:38 PDT

    The National Standards, in my estimation, is trying to justify maintaining
    the arts as part of school curriculums--They began to see school districts
    eliminating art programs to save money, so they felt, if they could verbalize
    the importamce of the arts in terms of, not only production, but of what
    participation in the arts offers the mind, thinking skills,etc.and the
    "soul", through appreciation and undestanding of aesthetics, that school
    boards would reconsider and understand the value of art programs. Yes, we as
    art instructors, understand all of that with our hearts and our heads, but
    others see art as frivolous. I think all the above is important[my major was
    art history], but more and more today, I feel that teaching children to work
    and create something --to produce something of their own is the most
    important objective we can accomplish-Ceil Lyden

    ---