Re: Interpretations on a theme- narrative art

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz)
Date: Thu Jul 20 2000 - 07:22:01 PDT

    "Michelle H. Harrell" wrote:
    > <snip> I want to explore
    > how different artists and cultures have interpreted the same story or myth
    > differently. After we compare and contrast several pairs that do this, I
    > want students to choose a story that has been depicted in art (such as the
    > Crucifixion) and interpret it through their own painting in a more
    > contemporary approach. I need some examples of pairs of artists that have
    > depicted the same legend.

    Many cultures have creation myths. Perhaps you could pair
    Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel frescoes from Genesis with say, Australian
    Aboriginal paintings of creation, or American Indian paintings.

    I love using Gentileschi's and Caravaggio's paintings of Judith and
    Holofernes. It's fun to take a poll and see which one the students
    think was painted by a man, and which by a woman. Often, the girls are
    the ones who understand the ferocity of Gentileschi's Judith, compared
    to Caravaggio's rather squeamish-looking Judith.

    Commemorating a victory: Trajan's Column, the Bayeaux Tapestry, the
    Egyptian Palette of Narmer, or a Maya stelae depicting a victory?
    (Choose your pair)

    Hope these are useful.