Re: Interpretations on a theme- narrative art

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz)
Date: Thu Jul 20 2000 - 07:22:01 PDT

    "Michelle H. Harrell" wrote:

    > <snip> I want to explore
    > how different artists and cultures have interpreted the same story or myth
    > differently. After we compare and contrast several pairs that do this, I
    > want students to choose a story that has been depicted in art (such as the
    > Crucifixion) and interpret it through their own painting in a more
    > contemporary approach. I need some examples of pairs of artists that have
    > depicted the same legend.

    Michelle,

    Many cultures have creation myths. Perhaps you could pair
    Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel frescoes from Genesis with say, Australian
    Aboriginal paintings of creation, or American Indian paintings.

    I love using Gentileschi's and Caravaggio's paintings of Judith and
    Holofernes. It's fun to take a poll and see which one the students
    think was painted by a man, and which by a woman. Often, the girls are
    the ones who understand the ferocity of Gentileschi's Judith, compared
    to Caravaggio's rather squeamish-looking Judith.

    Commemorating a victory: Trajan's Column, the Bayeaux Tapestry, the
    Egyptian Palette of Narmer, or a Maya stelae depicting a victory?
    (Choose your pair)

    Hope these are useful.

    Maggie

    ---