RE: AP on the elementary level

From: Peg Blechman (blechman@ACCESS-BOARD.GOV)
Date: Thu Jul 20 2000 - 06:46:52 PDT

    Rather than discussing art history and art criticism, I highly recommend
    getting them out to different museums and sites in your community. At the
    museum, they can pick their favorite painting(s), talk about what they like
    and don't like about it/them and research info about the artist.

    I also recommend have really interesting stuff in your classroom to inspire
    the kids to look and draw/paint - natural stuff like shells, bee hives,
    animal horns, etc. and machine made stuff - kitchen tools, mechanical
    stuff....and stuff related to what the kids are studying in their classroom
    curriculum.

    I've been volunteering at a public school in a 3rd & 4th grade - we went
    apple picking last Fall, and because the students have been learning how to
    knit, saw sheep shearing in the Spring. We went to the Insect Zoo at the
    Smithsonian where the kids drew insects on exhibit and did research about
    insects. For Chinese New Year, I brought in a Chinese Calligrapher who did
    a wonderful workshop on Chinese Calligraphy.

    -Peg