Re: teaching contemporary art

From: KLMVisArt
Date: Wed Jul 19 2000 - 17:20:20 PDT

    Louise,
    I too have many a heated discussion with my (musician) husband! However I am
    very sure of my openness as to what is Art. I try to explain the historical
    timeliness of certain artworks. Duchamp is one of those artists revisited
    often in those arguments and Mapplethorp as well. Context is something that
    is not always persuading to him. I have had certain success in explaining
    postmodernism when relating the concepts to music. He is SO open where that
    is concerned. I find a great deal of connection to Barbara Kruger in my own
    text and image pieces, and many people can see her work as valid. When it
    comes to nonobjective works I have to remember that it was not until I stood
    before a number of Robert Motherwell and Barnett Neumann paintings that I
    connected to them spiritually. At the National Gallery of Art I saw the
    Stations of the Cross and had an epiphany!
    Kerry

    ---