Re: teaching contemporary art

From: Batmom44
Date: Wed Jul 19 2000 - 10:22:58 PDT

    I'm sorry, I guess I committed a sin about which I complain frequently. I
    used the term abstract inappropriatelly. I did not mean to imply that all of
    the contemporary work that my students do is visually abstract. I give many
    assignments which lead to abstract visual images, however, I also give
    assignments based on concepts that require abstract thinking but lead to
    representational images. It is the thinking that I am after. I also give
    assignments which allow the student to make the decision about the visual
    images to use to solve the problem. I teach in a problem solving manner and I
    use contemporary works to foster discussions as well as inspire artwork. We
    have several computers in our classroom all of which have internet access. We
    frequently inspect and discuss sites featuring contemporary artists. I also
    teach them that in terms of contemporary art it is not just the work that has
    caught the eye of the public or critics that falls into that category. Anyone
    working at this time is a contemporary artist reagardless of the images they
    create. Even local artists committed to churning our beach scenes are
    contemporary artists. The question is, in terms of our own definitions of
    art, where do these beach scenes fit into the overall scheme of things.
    Reatha

    ---